Garrett R. Broshuis is an attorney at Korein Tillery’s St. Louis office. Garrett received his J.D. from Saint Louis University, where he graduated valedictorian and served as Editor-in-Chief of the Law Journal. Garrett interned for Chief Judge Catherine Perry of the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Missouri. He obtained his B.A., summa cum laude, from the University of Missouri-Columbia.
Much of Garrett’s complex litigation practice is sports-related. He represents dozens of former minor league baseball players in a wage-and-hour action challenging the pay scheme for minor leaguers. He also represents clients in securities litigation emanating from the failure of the mortgage-backed securities market. His appellate experience includes briefing and arguing multiple cases in the Missouri Court of Appeals.
Garrett is an adjunct professor of sports law at Saint Louis University. He has published numerous legal articles and is regularly quoted in publications throughout the country. His work on behalf of minor leaguers has been featured on HBO’s Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel.
During his undergraduate career at the University of Missouri, Garrett earned both All-American and Academic All-American honors for NCAA Division-I baseball. In 2004, he became a finalist for the Big 12 Conference Male Athlete of the Year after recording a perfect 11-0 record as a pitcher. He also earned the school’s Total Person Program Excellence Award three times.
The San Francisco Giants drafted Garrett in the fifth round of the 2004 amateur baseball draft. He played at all levels of minor league baseball during his six-year career with the Giants and attained the second most wins of any pitcher in the entire organization from 2008 to 2009. For four years, he wrote a regular column for two sports magazines, The Sporting News and Baseball America, and has been published in numerous other news outlets such as USA Today.
Areas of Practice
- Complex Litigation
- Commercial Litigation
- Consumer Protection
- Environmental Law
- Securities Litigation
- Unfair Competition
- Whistleblower / Qui Tam
- Saint Louis University School of Law, St. Louis, Missouri
- J.D. summa cum laude
- Honors: Valedictorian
- Honors: Order of the Woolsack
- Honors: 1843 Scholar
- Law Journal: Saint Louis University Law Journal, Editor-in-Chief
- University of Missouri-Columbia
- Honors: summa cum laude
- Honors: Academic All American (Baseball)
- Honors: All-American (Baseball)
- Death to the Crazy Hotdog Vendor? The Continued Erosion of the Baseball Rule after Coomer v. Kansas City Royals, 31 Ent. & Sports Law. 21 (Fall 2014)
- Touching Baseball's Untouchables: The Effects of Collective Bargaining on Minor League Baseball, 4 Harv. J. Sports & Ent. L. 51, 2013
- Restoring Integrity to America's Pastime: Moving Towards a More Normative Approach to Cheating in Baseball, 14 Tex. Rev. Ent. & Sports L. 119, 2013
- Deterring Opportunism Through Clawbacks: Lessons for Executive Compensation from Minor League Baseball, 57 St. Louis U. L.J. 185, 2012
- Adjunct Professor, St. Louis University School of Law
- Phi Beta Kappa